Penny Pines Memorial Forest

Marker:
Penny Pines Memorial Forest

Location:
Granite Basin Road
Prescott, Yavapai County, Arizona
34.612115, -112.540619

Directions:
Granite Basin Road off of Iron Springs Road just west of Prescott.
The picture doesn’t show it this way but the sign sits back off the road just a little bit and is at an angle.

Historical Significance: 
In 1939, President General Sarah Corbin Robert chose the Penny Pine program as one of her Golden Jubilee National Projects. Each state was to have a memorial forest, beginning in 1939 and culminating in 1941 on the 50th Anniversary of the Daughters of the American Revolution. Each chapter across the country was to pledge, at the very least, one acre of pine seedlings. Five dollars an acre at a penny each equals 500 trees. The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC), under the supervision of the U.S. Forestry Service, did the actual work of planting and care.

General George Crook Chapter, NSDAR, solicited a penny per pine from conservation-minded citizens to purchase 2,000 pine seedlings for re‑forestation. A redwood marker was placed by the U.S. Forest Service to mark the spot where two acres were planted as part of the DAR Golden Jubilee celebration. This project was featured in the National Geographic Magazine and the DAR Magazine. Nearly all 50 states have a Penny Pine forest.

Link: 
Daughters of the American Revolution – Forests

Dedicated: 
April 1940

Sponsors:
General George Crook Chapter, NSDAR, and Arizona State Society DAR

 

A vintage snapshot of a U.S. Forest Service sign in an outdoor setting that reads, “Arizona D.A.R. General George Crook Chapter / Memorial Forest Area No. 1 Established April 1940 [Forest Service logo]”
Sign that marks the Penny Pines Forest, undated image.
A collage of a newspaper clipping with a “Society and Club News” entry titled “DAR Chapter Hears Talk on Russia” with a paragraph about the Penny Pines. It reads, “A report on the “Penny Pines” project in the Granite Basin area ? was give[n]. The trees, planted five years ago, have made a good growth and are now two or three feet high.”
(left) The Prescott Evening Courier, April 7, 1945, page 8. Made available by The Daily Courier and used with permission. (right) Pine seedling, undated image.
A color snapshot of the U.S. Forest Service sign in an outdoor setting that reads, “Arizona D.A.R. General George Crook Chapter / Memorial Forest Area No. 1 Established April 1940 [Forest Service logo]. The Penny Pines Forest.
Sign that marks the Penny Pines Forest, undated image.

  

Contact the Webmaster

Request Membership Information


The content contained herein does not necessarily represent the position of NSDAR.
 Hyperlinks to other sites are not the responsibility of the NSDAR, the state organization or individual DAR chapters.

 

Unless otherwise noted, images are courtesy of Arizona State Society DAR Daughters.

 

Skip to content